Career Pivot Reader and Repurpose Your Career Listeners Survey Results
I closed out the Career Pivot reader and the Repurpose Your Career listener survey in early September after over 180 people had responded.
THANK YOU to everyone who participated.
Let me give you some basic statistics on the website and podcast performance.
- In 2019, the website was averaging over 20,000 visits a month. That is down to just over 6,000 and continues to decline
- In 2019, the podcast averaged about 6,000 downloaded episodes per month. Now we are averaging over 11,000 downloads per month.
Competing for “eyeballs” throughout the pandemic has made the website non-competitive. People are reading dramatically less content. The podcast continues to thrive and the podcast media space continues to thrive.
Therefore, I am putting a lot more of my energy and time into producing the podcast and I have cut the number of posts more than half of what I used to produce.
Below is the scorecard for the podcast from Listen Notes website.
A listen notes score of 40 puts it in the top 10% of career podcasts. The Global Rank score is excellent but you have to understand there are more than a million dead podcasts, i.e. podcasts that have not published an episode in the last 6 months.
This was by far the most responses I have ever received for this survey. Unlike previous surveys where the gender breakdown was pretty close to a 50/50 split for reading the blog and a definite bias towards men listening to the podcast, this time it was flipped.
Women made up 54% of the overall respondents but they made up 63% of the respondents who listened to the podcast. This is a pretty major shift.
Did you start listening to podcasts during the pandemic?
There is no question that the reader and listener’s age is getting older.
Previous surveys reported that about 25% of the participants were 45-54 years of age. That has been cut in half. The percentage of participants that were 65-74 years of age doubled from the last survey.
The Infinite Dial 2022 report from Edison Research and partners reports that the smallest but fastest-growing segment of podcast listeners is 55+.
How Prepared are You for Retirement?
It appears that only a small percentage of you are not prepared or confident in your retirement. This is the first time I have ever asked questions on the survey about retirement and therefore, I have nothing to compare it to.
However, depending on how prepared you are both mentally and financially the next year could be … interesting.
What is your Employment Outlook?
In general, I thought people felt comfortable with their employment outlook. This jives with what I discussed in my podcast episode Absolutely Crazy Employment Status in the United States for those 55+.
As I write this the employment environment continues to be very good for older workers. That should be taken with a certain amount of skepticism as many are predicting a recession in 2023.
I do not have a crystal ball to predict the future but if you are looking for work, I would be looking to get hired no later than the 1st quarter of 2023. If that means taking a job with benefits that is not your perfect match, now would be a good time to make that compromise.
What Would You Like in the Future?
I am going to list out the comments people made about what they would like to hear about either on the blog or podcast.
- Career change after 50, starting a business
- Mindset, strategy, and reflection on why, how, and where to search for opportunity in the 2nd ACT career.
- Contract work/Part-time jobs
- Expat living discussions
- More episodes like The Secret to Success to Staying Employed in Technology into Your 70s
- More episodes on Risk-like Are you Ready to Bet on You: How to Win with Risk – Author Angie Morgan
- Second act job hunting and countering ageism
- Staying Relevant
- Digital Nomad
- Anyone who speaks with candor about their personal experience
- How to escape a dead job
- Freelance/Contract Work
- How can I have my career outside the US? What countries are politically and economically stable?
- Gig economy for seniors.
- Knowing who you are, confidence in over 50s
- Unique travel work (tours or guides)
- Ways To Improve Networking, How to Pivot to another industry, Resources to up-skill
- Planning & managing the transition from full-time corporate life to “something else” either a different type of work or retirement.
- Health care trends
- More info on pivots from industry to not-for-profit. More info on insurance options with those with and/or spouses with chronic illness and making career pivots.
- Age bias and reframing
- Transitioning from employee to entrepreneur
- 3rd act work/volunteering as a means for happiness and self-fulfillment
Do you see a common theme?
What Happens Next
I will start laying out an editorial calendar for the first half of 2023 during the holidays.
I typically perform an audit of the website during the holiday season. I will be fixing a number of things that I know are broken and will be working on the navigation of the website during this time.
I normally do not publish the week of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. This year, I will likely publish a rebroadcast episode each of these weeks. This will give my virtual assistant a break and give me the time to plan for 2023.
If you have any thoughts feel free to contact me.Marc Miller
Like What Your Read? Get Career Pivot Insights
Do You Need Help With ...
Check out our Help Center where you have access to 14 different content portals.