Episode #186 – HR and Hiring in a Pandemic
This week, I am going to lay out my plans for the next few months for this podcast and discuss what I have been hearing from the people I am speaking with.
One of the benefits of doing this podcast is I get to speak with a lot of people who have a front-row seat in how companies are dealing with the pandemic from a hiring and career perspective.
I am organizing a whole series of panel discussions for the Career Pivot membership community and I will be playing the audio on this podcast.
Next week I bring in Gary O’Neal and David Hughen to give you the perspective from the companies side.
In future weeks, I will be speaking with a variety of resume writers, career coaches, and other career experts who are directly working with job seekers to get their perspective. I am working on a variety of formats so that my membership community gets their questions answered but also, you the listeners to this podcast gain perspective.
Perspective on what is really happening out there is really difficult to get right now as things are moving so fast and most of us are stuck at home.
This episode is sponsored by Career Pivot. Check out the Career Pivot Community.
Now on to the podcast…
Let me give you a summary of what I have heard so far.
Companies are going through gut-wrenching changes:
- Moving employees home
- Remote work is proving it can work
- Many want to return to the way it was
- Indeed now has a remote location
- Flexjobs is seeing an increase in job listings
- Companies plan on returning to the office when the pandemic is over but they are giving up their lease space
- Hiring remotely is something companies are getting comfortable with but remote onboarding is something they are not.
- It is much more difficult for a candidate to learn about hiring companies’ corporate culture.
Here is what I am hearing from resume writers and coaches:
- Lots of folks are looking for jobs. This includes people who have a job.
- Many of those who have a job want an insurance job.
- Operating without a playbook.
- Job boards are not very useful.
- Outreach, outreach, and more outreach.
- Higher education including community colleges
- Energy – Oil and Gas
- Any institution that is not adept at moving their business online
- PPP coming to an end
How to Find More About the Podcast and Subscribe
Make sure to check out the Career Pivot Community.
You can contact us here.
Marc invites you to connect with him on LinkedIn.com/in/mrmiller. Just include in the connection request that you listen to this podcast.
You can get updates on this podcast by clicking on the Get Career Pivot Insights button below.
The podcast is available on YouTube.
Do You Need Help With ...