Marc has addressed over 1,000 audiences worldwide.
A “recovering engineer,” his circuitous career path—IBM, Lucent, two start-ups and stints as a high school teacher and a fundraiser—has birthed his vocation helping Baby Boomers find new career paths.
He’s funny and frank when talking about…
Retirement—a bad idea
Switching careers—it starts with knowing yourself
And the steps to a career change.
Now he is speaking on the Multi-Generational Workplace!!
Marc has spoken in 40 different countries around the world on a wide range of topics.
Leveraging LinkedIn – Creating a Professional Brand that People will Remember
You’ve joined LinkedIn… now what? You are a small business owner, and you are going to visit a new client for the first time. What do you do before you leave for the meeting? You check out the new client’s LinkedIn profile! What is the client going to do before the meeting? They check out YOUR LinkedIn profile!
Watch an abbreviated version of this presentation that I gave at South by Southwest Interactive(SxSWi) in 2015.
What do they think and feel after viewing your profile? What is Your Professional Brand? Are you using LinkedIn to promote your Professional Brand? What is Google returning when people search on your name?
Start using these simple strategies that turn your LinkedIn profile into a professional brand statement people will remember. Marc Miller will provide you with 5 actionable tips to manage your Professional Brand using standard features of LinkedIn.
- Launch Pad Job Club – July 6, 2012
- Network In Austin – July 9, 2012
- Product Camp Austin – August 18, 2012
- Austin Job Seekers Network – August 27, 2012
- New Horizon’s Job Fair – October 18, 2012
- Austin Business Owners Meetup – October 22, 2012
- National Association Insurance and Financial Advisers (NAIFA) Austin Chapter – October 24, 2012
- Product Camp Austin – February 16, 2013
- Professional Women of Williamson County – PWOW! – March 27, 2013
- Texas Association of Business Brokers – June 20, 2013
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®) Austin Chapter – June 21, 2013
- Product Camp Austin – July 20, 2013
- Austin Executives Association – September 11, 2013
- Hired Texas – January 7, 2014
- UT League of Business Leaders – February 10, 2014
- New Horizons Webinar- February 24, 2014
- APICS Austin Chapter – June 17, 2014
- Austin Small Biz Operations; Gorilla Finance Group – June 26, 2014 – See blog post
- Launch Pad Job Club – July 11, 2014
- Product Camp Product Party – October 7, 2104 – This will be a special hands on workshop
- Launch Pad Job Club – February 27, 2015
- Product Camp Austin – March 7, 2015 – Best Session Award Winner!
- SxSWi – Personal PowerWorks: Power Your Personal Brand and Career – March 16, 2015
- Irish Network – Austin – October 5, 2015
- Flexjobs Webinar – October 13, 2015
The Multi-Generational Workplace – Why can’t we just get along?
The workplace is now multi-generational with different communication styles, expectations, values and need for feedback. There are challenges in getting all of these generational groups to get along.
We will cover five generations, Greatest, Silent, Baby Boomers, Gen X and Gen Y. The interesting thing is we are familiar with all of these generations because we have grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, cousins, children or grandchildren from all of these generations.
We will discuss the major events that shaped each generation, the technology changes, and communications styles of each. In the end you will understand the generational echo effects and how the generations interact. Click here for more information.
What are people saying?
I have attended many presentations on the topic myself, but none as good as yours. I personally got a lot from it. – Steve Westbrook – Executive Director of Sheriff
- Austin Business Owners Meetup – September 23, 2013
- Texas Association for Health Care Recruitment Conference – October 17, 2013
- Launch Pad Job Club – February 28, 2014
- TempNet 2014 Annual Conference and Trade Show, St. Petersburg, FL – March 12-15, 2014
- Career Thought Leaders 2014 Conference, Baltimore MD – April 24-26, 2014
- IIBA Austin – June 20, 2014
- Project Management Institute Austin – Thompson Conference Center – June 24, 2014
- Austin ASTD Career Transition SIG – July 8, 2014
- Professional Women of Williamson County (PWOW) – September 24, 2014
- BPAA – Kansas City, Mo – November 4, 2014
- Austin Association of Financial Professionals – November 19, 2014
- Habitat for Humanity of Williamson County – January 24, 2015
- Launch Pad Job Club – August 21, 2015
- Texas Society of Association Executives (TSAE) – October 14, 2015
- Sheriff’s Association of Texas (Galveston, TX) – October 30, 2015
- Austin Rotary – April 26, 2016
- Texas Organization of Rural and Community Hospitals – September 15, 2016
- Austin Association of Financial Professionals Fall Conference – September 22, 2016
- San Antonio of Financial Professionals Fall Conference – October 12, 2016
Looking at your Career from a Turkey’s Perspective and What to do Instead
Most turkeys are hatched into a safe environment. They are then fed everyday. Everyday is very predictable and more importantly safe. Life is really good until… the fourth Thursday of November when suddenly life as a Turkey does not look so good. Does this sound like your career?
Are you prepared when your current project ends?
Let me give you a system called the Targeted Job Search which will give you a step by step process, so you do not look like a turkey when your project comes to an end.
- Launch Pad Job Club – October 28, 2016
- IIBA – April 15, 2016
- DAA Austin Symposium – June 2, 2016
Social Disruption – How the Job Search has Changed
With the rise of the Internet, the hiring process was automated but little really changed. Only candidates that were actively looking were considered. Then came social. Job search has flipped from applying to being found. It is all about being visible to the right people. Companies now find talent, whether or not the talent is looking. Recruiters search for the ideal candidates on social media and the Internet.
We will discuss:
- How to use LinkedIn and Twitter to actively engage and connect strategically and tactically
- How to identify local and remote companies that are capable of hiring you
- How to identify individuals who can help you properly vet companies
We will focus on using Twitter Search and Twitter Lists to monitor activity. We will then discuss how to get the attention of key connections using Twitter at the right times.
- Launch Pad Job Club – July 17, 2015
- NSHMBA Austin – 2015 Texas LEAD Conference – July 24, 2015
- Product Camp Austin – August 15, 2015
- Product Camp Austin – February 13, 2016
- Hired Texas – May 3, 2016
Turning Reinvention Failure into Future Success
Marc has reinvented himself six times but has failed three times. He will discuss how he recovered from each and managed to make the failure a benefit. The key to recovering from reinvention failure is to fail fast if you are going to fail and learn from it.
- Mega-Reinvention Virtual Conference – January 16, 2016
- Launch Pad Job Club – March 25, 2016
- FlexJobs Webinar – July 12, 2016
The Targeted Job Search – How to get the Hiring Manager to Call You!
We live in what is now called a referral economy. With over 80% of jobs being filled through referrals it is important that you have a network there to support you. We will be talking about:
- Building a target list of companies
- How to strategically network into the management chain so that they call you when a position opens up!
- What to do after you are hired to prepare for the next job change
The days of staying in a job for 5, 10 or 15 years are over. Use this strategy to build a referral network that will keep you employed at employers that you want to work for.
Register to be notified of upcoming presentations
- HIREDTexas – Restoration Covenant Church – April 16, 2013
- Launch Pad Job Club – August 2, 2013
- New Horizons Webinar – January 24, 2014
- Veterans Administration – January 29, 2014
- Product Camp Austin – February 15, 2014
- Launch Pad Job Club – June 13, 2014
- Product Camp Austin – August 2, 2014
- Launch Pad Job Club – November 7, 2014
- IEEE GLOBECOM’14 in Austin- December 8-12, 2014
Navigating The Negotiation Process – It’s Not Just About $$$!
Negotiation is an important skill that is under-utilized by most job seekers—at a high cost. If you don’t negotiate, you won’t get what you want. In this talk, we will explore the negotiation process and discuss ways you can negotiate with power to achieve your goals.
I will walk the audience through the whole process—from job prospecting to job offer. I will lead an active discussion to help us identify our financial AND non-financial needs. We will also chat about the questions to ask, and how and when to ask them, so that you will receive offers that meet your needs.
- Hired Texas – September 6, 2016
- Launch Pad Job Club – June 26, 2015
- Careers Over Coffee – Women Communicators of Austin – July 10, 2015
Repurpose Your Career – 5 Steps to Your Next Career Pivot
Whether you are a Baby Boomer, Gen Xer or Millennial retirement like your parents had is no longer a possibility for most. Everyone will have to go through career changes or Career Pivots. This webinar will focus on 5 Steps to a Career Pivot.
Know Thyself. Take time to understand your core needs like autonomy, creativity and your own definition of a good team. Use past jobs to point to what you love and hate. Many Baby Boomers and Gen Xers have morphed into versions of themselves in order to fit comfortably in corporate America so that they really don’t know themselves anymore. Spend time crafting an elevator pitch that explains who you really are and what you really want.
Everyone can learn a lot about themselves through assessments (Birkman, MBTI, Kolbe, DISC,..), moments of clarity (read my book) and career reflection
Build your tribe. Who can you count on for help and support in this transition? Who is going to pick up your spirits when you slip and fall? Build a team around you and keep in touch with them.
Act on facts, not assumptions. Often we think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence but when we get there we find out it’s Astroturf. You need to turn off assumptions and really research new opportunities.
Learn how to network strategically. Using social media tools like LinkedIn and Twitter you can target individuals that you need to meet and develop relationships. When you network, do it strategically and share your new elevator pitch.
Learn to ask for help. Yes, I am a guy. I do not like asking for directions. But you’re heading into new territory and no one succeeds at a career pivot without others’ help. Set aside your claims to status and your pride in order to reach for something new where you may now be the rookie. This is hard at first, but it gets easier.
Register to be notified of upcoming presentations
- University of Texas McCombs School of Business Alumni Association – February 21, 2013 (webinar)
- New Horizons (webinar) – March 22, 2013
- VisionG is pleased to host: Repurpose Your Career – 5 Steps to Your Next Career Pivot – June 18, 2013
- Manage Your Career — Don’t Get Blindsided by Reality: an IEEE Workshop– August 2, 2013
- New Horizons Webinar – December 13, 2013
- FlexJobs.com Webinar – May 7, 2015 (Recording available)
- TalentMarks Webinar – July 8, 2015 – Watch replay